Domestic Violence Housing First
Domestic Violence Housing First (DVHF) is a Valley Oasis program that focuses on helping domestic violence survivors get into safe and stable housing as quickly as possible, and on providing services to help them move forward with their lives. Valley Oasis is one of 8 agencies piloted with the DVHF model.
The three pillars of the DVHF model, designed to promote housing stability are:
- Survivor-driven, trauma-informed mobile advocacy: Advocates focus on addressing the needs identified by survivors rather than on pre-determined needs promoted by agencies. Advocates are mobile and are trained in trauma-informed practice.
- Flexible funding assistance: Many survivors need not only safe and stable housing, but also temporary financial assistance. They may need assistance with issues directly related to housing or funds that are critical to housing stability. Funds are targeted to support survivors so they can rebuild their lives.
- Community engagement: Proactive engagement with housing providers, other service providers and community member’s changes how the community responds to domestic violence.
- Bachelor’s degree in human services, social work, or related field preferred;
- Minimum of two years’ experience in the social services field with specific experience providing domestic violence services, working with housing programs or with the homeless population;
- Minimum of two years’ experience in case management;
- Have a working knowledge of trauma informed interventions with domestic violence victims;
- Excellent oral and written communication skills;
- Excellent crisis intervention, problem-solving and conflict resolution skills;
- Maintain positive relations with co-workers, clients, volunteers, staff from other agencies, agency funders and the general public;
- Demonstrate reliability by being present for work as scheduled;
- Demonstrate team behavior and promote a team-oriented environment;
- Understanding of confidentiality importance;
- Ability to work well in a crisis situation;
- Serve as a stable non-judgmental role model;
- Possess the ability to set boundaries and maintain ethical relationships;
- Bilingual Preferred.
- Screen current residents and prospective participants for inclusion in the program;
- Assist survivors in developing a plan with concrete goal and objectives to secure housing;
- Advocate for survivors around tenant rights to ensure survivors are not denied housing due to past domestic violence related evictions or debt;
- Provides assistance to clients with searching for housing, identifying safety features of apartments, preventing their abusers from locating them and reclaiming financial independence;
- Collaborates to develop a protocol for gathering victim information and ensuring safety and the confidentiality of data gathered;
- Provides homeless certification and letter indicating the victim is either staying in shelter residential program or fleeing an abusive relationship in order to establish eligibility for voucher and housing assistance programs;
- Works with clients to identify community resources for additional barriers to housing and employment;
- Attend community events for program outreach;
- Connect with property management firms, property managers and property owners to promote and educate on services;
- Maintain contact with participants and produce a monthly report as to the level of participation in the program;
- Maintain case management on each participant enrolled into program;
- At times, accepts responsibility for tasks, as directed by the Program Director and Executive Director, which are not outlined in the job description but which are an important part of the agency’s goals and/or program outcomes.
- Must have a valid California Driver’s License;
- Auto Insurance;
- Clean driving record;
- Ability to work weekends and holidays;
- Employee will be required to complete a TB test, fingerprinting, drug screen (employment pending on drug screen), 40-hour Domestic Violence training and CPR/First Aid certification.
Monday – Friday 8:00am – 5:00pm
Send Us Your Resume for This Job